For the past few months we have all
lived with a roommate. This person is around us all the time and usually
sleeping in the same room as us every night. In my case, I haven’t spent one
night without a roommate in my room since the start of college. Well, there may
have been a night here or there that she didn’t make it home, but ironically
nights like that tended to be a bit hazy for me too (for a reason that I cannot
figure out!) and I didn’t notice her absence until the morning.
Now I tend
to be a bit of a scaredy cat when it comes to the dark. I am used to crawling
into bed every night with the light still on, cuddling under the covers, seeing
Carissa laying about 5 feet away, knowing I am safe, then hearing the light
switch flick off. But this weekend was different. My roommate, Carissa, decided
to go home for the weekend and I was in my room alone… all weekend… in the dark.
I chose to
stay here and not go canning or go home for the weekend because I wanted some
alone time and some time to myself for relaxation. Well after having someone or
many people with me at every waking moment, this was really enjoyable. I woke
up late on Saturday, laid in bed in silence, turned the tv on to my favorite
channel (food network) and just took in the peacefulness until I felt like getting
up and starting my day. My day consisted of homework for the most part, but it
was shocking at how much I got done when I had no friends around to goof off
with. For the most part this seemed to be working out quite nicely, until
nighttime.
On Saturday
night, I went to the gym from 11:30 to 12:30 then came back to my oddly quite building.
I opened my door and flipped the light switch on immediately then continued to
scan the room for monsters or whatever else I believed to be a threat. The
coast was clear, but that didn’t leave me resting easy. When it was finally
time to sleep, I turned off the light switch then sprung across the floor in
what seemed one step before landing in my bed. Unable to sleep I had to watch
tv until I fell asleep so that I did not feel so alone in the dark.
Now as much
as I needed a weekend of rest and relaxation, I truly appreciate my roommate
for being there each night before I go to sleep. I never used to be so afraid
of sleeping in a room alone, so I guess that summer time when I am back home
will be interesting at first. That’s it for tonight, don’t let the bed bugs
bite!
I can't say that i have the same problem with the dark or not having my roommate in the room when i go to sleep haha, but i do know what you mean when you say you love them. My roommate and me are best friends and more alike than any of my other friends or brothers. Overall though i thought this was a very funny post.
ReplyDeleteI totally know what you mean when you say it feels a bit eery without a roommate sleeping next to you! I haven't had a problem with checking under the covers or under the bed but, I do feel a bit lonely when I find myself falling asleep without my roommate haha. Also, the food network is one of my favorite shows as well! Except, it always ends up with me eating a lot of necessary food afterwards. This was such a cute post!
ReplyDeleteI thought this was super funny as well but I can definitely relate to how you feel. Sometimes it's really nice to have some alone time, but I like having a roommate and knowing I do not have to sleep in the room alone. My roommate went canning this weekend and I already feel lonely. I guess once you get so used to living with someone, it feels odd to have to spend a weekend without them!
ReplyDeletehahaha this is funny but don't worry you're not the only one who feels that way! I remember one BUSY weekend my roommate told me that she was going somewhere, Pittsburg? I think. And so I was thinking to myself okay cool, maybe I'll be able to concentrate better.
ReplyDeleteUsually my roommate keeps the Christmas lights she has hanging around the room on. I used to find it annoying because I liked my room dark at home. But, when bedtime rolled around and I went to turn of the lights I noticed how dark my dorm room was without the Christmas nightlights on. So as a temporary replacement for my roommate's company and her night lights I turned the tv on and left it on the whole night.
After spending the entire year with a roommate it is definitely a little different when they aren't there for the weekend. My room is particularly more quiet when my roommate isn't there and gives me a good chance to get some of my work done. Overall I thought this was a great post.
ReplyDelete