I have heard so many good things about coming to college, but the roommate situation has always been a hit or miss. In my experience so far, I've pretty much hit every bump in the road possible. First off, I somehow landed myself in supplemental housing, even though I did everything on time. Simply bad luck on my part. On move in day, I find that my three roommates have taken up about 80% of the closet space because they each needed their share plus a little more. Leaving me with enough space for a couple coats and shoes, they justified this act by saying that since I keep a car at school I can keep my extra shoes and clothing in a bin in my car. Am I the only one who feels like this is unfair?
A couple months pass and two of the three roommates take the level of respect for our room to as low as possible. Im talking about the fact that dirty dishes were left out until mold grew on them, dirty laundry covering our barely existing floor space, and the two roommates coming in at 3 am every week night only to talk, turn on the lights and make food. Just to add to the insanity, they would lay in the same top bunk together to read at night. Once again I'm left asking if I am the only one traumatized by the situation at hand.
To say the least, the situation was just unbearable. Through all of this my civilized roommate and I never complained. We even cleaned our messy roommates areas and picked up their laundry for them. I wouldn't be able to get any homework done or even relax without having a semi tidy room. Now I know it may seem like I am simply using this blog to vent, but I promise I'm getting to a greater point.
Karma can be described as inevitable results of either good or bad. Well I was finally struck with some good karma for putting up with this uncomfortable situation.
One day before Christmas break, while noticing two of my roommates packing a rather large amount of their stuff for a few weeks at home, they announced that they would be moving out into a regular double room next semester in another building. Although they nearly gave me a heart attack when explaining that it was due to the lack of space and messy room that they couldn't relax in, I tuned their delusional words out and began celebrating inside. The next day followed with them removing all of their stuff from the room and us whispering awkward "goodbyes" and "good luck next semester."
That moment was followed by sweet silence then the endless chatter of my roommate Carissa and I as we planned how to rearrange our huge new room and how great it was going to be. All in all the roommate situation is as great as could be at this moment, but I do have some good stories to tell my kids about my crazy roommates freshman year.
Diana, I actually lived in supplemental last semester too! Except instead of 3 I had 7 roommates and we didn't have a kitchen or anything like that! I completely understand what you went through when talking about girls being roudy late at night and messiness. Our room wasn't the cleanest either. I hope this semester is much better than your last!
ReplyDeleteDiana, I've been living in supplemental, too, this semester, and I can definitely understand the frustrations you were going through. I've been pretty lucky that the five other guys in my room and I have seemed to get along pretty well, but there have definitely been times where we have did not agree with each other. I think it'd been pretty cool to have such a large room for just you and one roommate, and I hope you enjoy your time in it this semster.
ReplyDeleteI had some roommate issues as well, but they were mainly communication issues, not nearly as bad as what you had to go through. It sounded like a really horrible experience and I'm glad that your luck turned for the better and you were able to find a relative sense of sanity.
ReplyDeleteOne of my friends had issues with his friend in supplemental. He was the only person who brought a tv so decided to share it and placed in a place for everyone to see. One of his roommates broke it by throwing a football at it (accidental idk.) My friend asked if he could split the cost for a new tv and his roommate refused and actually reported my friend to the school for harassment. He almost caused my friend to lose his housing contract. Luckly my roommate is pretty cool.
ReplyDeleteDiana, this sounds terrible. I'm glad that it worked out and hopefully you will have a better time this semester. I can't complain about my roommate because we get along great so I always wonder what it must feel like to be living with someone that you really don't get along with at all. Seems strange to me.
ReplyDeleteComing into this year the roommate situation was something that got me nervous because my roommate is from Ecuador. I was't sure how we we going to get along and him being from a different country I wasn't sure how good his english was going to be. But we have got along just fine and he has become one of my good friends here at Penn State.
ReplyDelete