For my reflection I plan to write about the
issue of gossip and why finding trustworthiness in people is so hard these days.
Now I’m not saying that it is wrong or that I don’t do it. That is not the case
at all. I really want to reflect on the root of the problem and when it became
such a huge part of our lives. I don’t remember being this way when I was
younger, or maybe I just didn’t have the means to communicate so freely with
others like I do now.
But why do we gossip? Is it the feeling of
knowing someone’s secret that is exhilarating since it is something so precious?
And if that is the case, why do we choose to give away that feeling for a
feeling of regret and nervousness at the idea of sharing something that
somebody else truly trusted you with?
Maybe when we’re younger we are too innocent
to have anything to be ashamed of or kept secret. As we grow up we keep more
secrets because we make more mistakes. But these secrets eat at you inside
unless you have people that you know that you can trust with anything and know
that they will not judge you. To this day I probably have four people that I
can trust with any secret, one of which is my sister. Sadly, I may have more
trustworthy people than others, but that is just the way that the world has
become. All I know is that I truly miss the days when I could trust anyone with
anything. Or is it that I miss the days when I had no reason to even need
anything kept secret?
I honestly believe that most people love gossip be cause they simply love to know other peoples problems and compare themselves to these people in order to feel better about themselves. In all honesty you're lucky to have 4 friends you can trust. I, for example, only have 2 people I can trust with my secrets. Its a sad reality but most people just can't handle the pressure of being a trust-worthy friend. Great reflection topic :-)
ReplyDeleteI agree with Victor, in that gossip is a way to make us feel better about ourselves. If we can discover and exploit the problems that others have, it makes us feel much better about our own issues. It's an unfortunate trend in our society, as it tends to negatively affect those who are gossiped about. It's great to have others whom we can confide our secrets to, because it always feels better to talk about those things that are bothering us, while at the same time, knowing that are secrets are safe with them.
ReplyDeleteI agree with both Nick and Victor. People like hearing what is going on in other peoples lives and by doing this they will feel better about themselves. I feel that it is also related to popular shows like TMZ. Nowadays people want to know everything that is going on in other peoples lives. I find it really important to have those friends that you can tell anything because there are certain things that you don't want to tell everyone.
ReplyDeleteDiana, this is such as interesting topic to reflect on because it is something that is relative to both males and females. I probably have 5 friends that I can absolutely say anything to, without having to worry about him/her telling somebody else. I think that gossiping has to do with the fact that we want to feel better about ourselves and so, we expose the faults and mistakes of others to do so. Maybe gossiping wasn't such a big part of our childhood because we didn't need this sense of superiority over certain people. Then again, I remember girls being very chatty and loud in elementary school as well. But I think this is a great and fun topic to reflect on!
ReplyDeleteI love this topic. This seems so relevant with us being in college and right out of high school. I don't know about you, but my high school was surrounded with gossip at all times and people were constantly telling each others secrets and creating drama. This was all supposed to end once college came, but I have found that wherever there are large groups of teenagers together in a concentrated area, gossip always seems to resurface. I think that gossip is mostly created because people have nothing else to talk about. People get bored of their own lives and so they start indulging in other peoples. I think you are going to end up with a great paper. Good luck!
ReplyDelete